Pages

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Minor Home Improvements

With spring settling in (finally) and the knowledge that snow will not (likely) be falling again for a few months, Brad and I took to the outdoors and started working on some landscaping. I have no trouble figuring out what will look great in room in a house, but when it comes to a yard I am at a total loss. I mean COMPLETE and total loss. So I rely on Brad's ideas and inspiration to make our yard lovely. We decided a long time ago that the front yard needed a tree (after we tore down the sad and dying evergreens when we moved in). The year after removing the evergreens we planted a small amur cherry tree. It was growing quiet well and then suddenly died. We think the soil was too acidic from the pine needles. As it's been 2 years since then we hope that the problem is no longer an issue and optimistically planted again. This time we went with a Golden Eclipse Lilac tree. Brad wanted to create a raised planter in the front yard for this tree, so we bought some cindercrete retaining wall bricks and he built the planter.


I am demonstrating what a tree will look like in the spot we picked out

And this is what the tree actually looks like.




We packed in quite a lot of potting soil and black earth. Should manage alright. Here's hoping!


It was a very successful and productive weekend so far. Still to come: photos of the bedroom makeover. I'm still waiting for our bed frame though (sigh). When it's all done, I'll post some pics.

1 comment:

mum said...

Tree and planter look great! It looks quite professional. I hope the tree is happy there.