Pages

Saturday, January 02, 2010

New Year, New Level of Ambition

Brad and I decided that it was time to pick up our socks and get going on some more home renovations. A good place to start seemed to be the soon-to-be-spare-bedroom downstairs. Once renovated, the spare bed will be moved down from upstairs, along with some extra linens, etc. The free space in the upstairs current-spare-room will be converted into a highly functional scrapbooking(YAY!)/sewing/computer room. This will allow for a much happier Jessica, and an exponentially happier marriage*. SO, down we went to the depths of our basement and cleared all of the boxes and boxes of things from said soon-to-be-spare-bedroom. We then took down the wood paneling from the one "feature wall" (I assume that's what they were going for). Sadly, when we pulled it down, the painted wall underneath appeared to be cracked and rippling, a sure sign of water damage. Awesome. So today, armed with workgloves, protective eyewear, and N95 respirators, we went downstairs again to begin the demolition. I have provided photographic evidence for those of you who don't believe we actually achieved a level of ambition high enough to renovate again.
I know what you're thinking: WHY would I want to renovate a room with wallpaper and paint like that?! It's unfathomable.
~
Don't mess with me, gyprock! I'm gonna open up a can o' whoop ass on you! (and yes, my gloves are salmon pink. I chose them because of it)
~
The remnants of a big and useless closet. I kicked holes in the drywall to tear it down. I highly suggest trying this if the opportunity ever arises.
~
Brad starting to rip through the very weak drywall on the water damaged wall. GROSS.
~
The moult we found. (Brad is fascinated by these things and said "you should take a picture of this mould!" He also said these same words when we threw out two-month old muffins...please don't ask about the muffins. To this day he still says those were the coolest muffins he ever saw and he wishes he had kept them.)
~
Pfffft, wall...who needs a wall?!
~
All in all, we took a full truck load of junk, mouldy insulation, and rotten drywall to the dump. Tomorrow? We bleach.

*Note: This statement is not to be taken to mean we are experiencing marital troubles. Our marriage is quite solid, but as the saying goes: Happy Wife = Happy Life. A dedicated scrapbooking room will make me a VERY happy Wife.

6 comments:

pilgrimchick said...

That is a big project--the mould is absolutely unforgettable.

Dono said...

That's some good mould you got there Giesbrecht. Reminds me of some of stuff I've found in other people's walls over the last few months. How does no one get sick?

-Dono

Dono said...

Nice gloves too BTW. Very classy!

-Dono

It's Me! said...

You got me, Dono. The only reason we weren't sick, I'm sure, is because we never used that room. It's been closed off basically since we moved in.

Unknown said...

Taking down drywall seems fun. The rest, not so much. Good luck with your New Years project!

Switzer said...

Don't know your e-mail address. I remember we used to have deep conversations on this subject. Made me think of you. Sweet hair...or lack thereof.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/02/11/aspergers.autism.dsm.v/index.html?hpt=C2