Pages

Sunday, January 15, 2012

My New Hobby (read: "obsession")

On January 1st, for the second time in my life, Mum taught me to knit. This time it made sense and stuck. She sent me on my way back to Swift Current with a variety of yarn, a set of needles and an assortment of knitting notions and accessories to get me started. I've since become fairly obsessed and have started buying patterns and downloading patters to try new ideas and techniques. 
This was what I worked on during the drive from Smithers to Swift.  I had intended to make a really big scarf, but by the time I got back I had discovered the plethora of patterns online and decided to start fresh.   Notice the inconsistent shape and the random hole?  Ah well...
These are the three cowls I've made so far.  Each one took me about two evenings (the beige one was first, followed by the green, and the white one is the most recent).

 I wore the green one to work one morning and showed my coworker who was totally impressed and declared that it "doesn't even look homemade!"  I'm seriously very proud (probably disproportionately, but whatever).
So, since I don't want my first project to go to waste, and I'd like to have it as a reference point (where I am now compared to where I started), I've put it to use:

~next, I'm moving on to stuffed toys.  We'll see how THAT goes!

1 comment:

mum said...

Well done!!! Those look great. You have every right to be seriously proud after starting only less than 2 weeks ago. Can't wait to see you, Brad and Ollie all in matching sweaters.