Pages

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Whoopsies...

I have a nose ring. Much to the initial (and quite possibly continued) chagrin of my mother, I had my nose pierced in 2004 after my eyebrow ring rejected. For whatever reason I felt I needed to replace one piercing with another, so I paid someone to shove some surgical steel through my nose causing my eyes to water profusely for several minutes. Since that date I have always had a smallish hoop in the piercing. I've never been one for nose studs. Today, however, I bought one. A small, surgical steel stud with a small steel ball on each end to keep it anchored in my nostril. I bent the end of it into an L shape to better secure it, thinking if I just didn't twiddle with it, it would remain in place.
I also have allergies. They have been acting up lately and making me sneeze, and making my nose run frequently. Today, my nose started to run. So, politely, I excused myself to the washroom where I took some balled up toilet paper and evacuated the contents of my nose partly by blowing and partly by sniffling. I threw the toilet paper in the toilet and flushed. Only then did I notice my nose no longer had a surgical steel post in it. No, it was long gone.
My concern is that I don't know if I blew it out or in fact managed to somehow inhale the thing. I think I probably would have noticed, but stranger things have happened. Furthermore I know I didn't notice the stud in my balled up toilet paper. Wondering what the consequences of ingesting/inhaling steel are?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You have two choices, really...
1) Use one of those metal detector wands from the airport to see if it went up, rather than down OR
2) Chock it up to a left sock sort of experience and get something new and shiny to stick in your nose

Either way I'm sure you'll look lovely:)