Pages

Friday, May 23, 2008

Always in Threes.

Bad things happen in threes. So do good things, but the bad are more noticable and traceable. Yesterday, my number was up.
It was an alright morning, a little butsy, but nothing out of the ordinary. I was hurrying to get everything done so I could go cover an event at the firehall at 9 (it was last minute). I decided to use the washroom before leaving and when I came back to my office to grab my keys and mp3 player and mic, I noticed something out of the ordinary. My desk was COVERED in water. Every paper was drenched, my keyboard and monitor had that wet-electronics smell, and water was dripping from the desk to the floor. I did what any radio person does when something is out of the ordinary: I called Engineering. Jeff came to my office a few minutes later and told me the upstairs toilet had plugged and overflowed and gone through the floor, which also serves as my ceiling. "It's not really toilet water...it had been running for a long time" was what Jeff said to comfort me when I was freaking out at the thought of dirty toilet water all over my desk and chair and belongings. Oh, gee, thanks.
But the clock was ticking down and I had to get the fire hall, so I left Jeff to mop up (THANK YOU JEFF!!!) and ran to my car, completely flustered. I got in, checked the parking spot that always has a car in it and makes it diffcult for me to get out of my spot, saw it was empty and backed out. I shouted bloody murder when I felt a crunch. I pulled forward a couple of feet and got out of the Escape to see a little black pontiac parked directly behind me. The little car now had a new accessory: a mangled bumper. I don't think I have to tell you how stupid I felt, or how sick to my stomache I felt. It was only then that I noticed the car was NOT parked in an actual parking spot. It was outside of the last line in the middle of the lot. Ok, so it's obviously my fault, but I feel like the owner of the car should have felt a little stupid for parking illegally. I ran back to the station, sent Alexis to cover the event at the firehall (THANK YOU ALEXIS!!), tracked down the owner of the car and called SGI. Sigh. There goes my ten years of safe driving. Back to the drawing board.
I spent the rest of the morning cleaning the pee-water off my desk (THANK YOU LYSOL!!) and all of the items on my desk. Then I went home.
I had lunch (narrowly missing cutting my finger while making it), and had a quick nap. I got up and ran a couple of quick errands and was just heading off to work when I decided with the day I was having, I deserved a little treat and swung by Tim Hortons for an ice-capp. I don't know how it happened, maybe the lid wasn't secure, maybe there was some coffee around the rim, it really doesn't matter. The point is that it ended up down the front of my shirt. Staining. Boo.
The rest of the night went smoothly and I went home immediately after work, put on my pj's and went to bed and read. It's hard to hurt yourself or wreck someone's belongings when you're in bed. It was the safest place for me, Calamity Jess.

1 comment:

*M* said...

Pee Water. Crash. Spill. YOU DESERVE A DAY OFF!! Oh and a massage and a whole cheesecake. Love you honey!