Pages

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Please, call me Jennifer

I understand there are a lot of similarities between the names "Jessica" and "Jennifer". After all, they both start with J, the second letter is an e which is followed by a repeated consonant, they are both three syllable names, and both were popular in the early 80's...but if my parents had wanted me to be called Jennifer, I doubt they would have named me Jessica. Maybe I'm wrong.
In the past week I have been called Jennifer at least five times. The first by a person I have spoken to and interviewed dozens of times. The following five by someone I had just met. So...my question...how does one go about correcting these errors? To the interviewee, I just ignored it and pretended had had in fact gotten my name right, and I just hope that someone will say something somewhere down the road about me that will make the correct name stand out in his mind. To the new acquaintance I said nothing, on the assumption that I will never come across that person again.
I'm also hoping that on some level, if the names are so interchangeable in some people's minds, maybe they will interchange back and I'll suddenly be Jessica again.

1 comment:

*M* said...

TOTALLY! If I get called Marion one more time I will freak!