Pages

Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Red Planet

I had heard that Google has released a map of part of Mars. The map (at Google Mars) is presented in three versions: colour coded relief, infrared, and what's actually visible. I spent about 10 minutes looking at these maps and am confused by my reaction. They frighten me. As I poured over them, I felt myself becoming deeply disturbed, but I can't figure out why. The pictures should be fascinating, they should be awe-inspiring, but for me, they scare me. Aspiring Freuds, please feel free to put in your two-bits here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm... perhaps it's that our world is getting a lot bigger (so to speak)? Our reach is getting farther and who knows what change it will bring.

Sean said...

Maybe you're afraid of little green men!