Pages

Sunday, August 08, 2010

Things I saw at Street Dance

The Swift Current Kinsmen and Kinettes put on an even each year in August called Street Dance. They cordon off a full block downtown, set up a stage, drink booths, and a tented area with tables and welcome the people of Swift Current to drink their faces off and generally be very silly. Brad and I went last night. I had finally gotten over a grinding headache and was more or less stone cold sober. This state of non-drunkenness gave me the opportunity to observe.

At 2010 Swift Current Street Dance I saw:
A man in red long johns
This particular guy was trying to climb up on the shoulders of many girls. I watched him try to balance and inevitably fall from the shoulders of at least three girls and one guy for about 20 minutes.

A man wearing a green and while bobsled uniform with a fanny pack

This guy is actually a friend of a friend. I don't feel like admitting that I know him.

A woman who was likely in her late 60's stumbling around drunkenly
I watched as this woman stumbled around and went up to a number of young guys to talk to them before stumbling away with who I can only assume was her husband (also reasonably drunk). Brad thinks she was easily in her 70s, but I'm putting 60s on the basis that if she has gone her whole life going as hard as she did last night, she may look much older than she actually is.

A man in a wedding dress
I don't really know what to say in particular about this man...he was wearing a wedding dress...it was funny.

A woman in her wedding dress (followed by the whole wedding party)
This group of people made me very sad. I can't figure out why you would go to Street Dance after your wedding. If you really have nothing else to do, go home. Furthermore, if you really truly MUST go to street dance, regardless of having just tied the knot, go home and CHANGE out of your wedding dress!! I specifically wore jeans and a t-shirt because they are easy to wash and I knew I was guaranteed to come home covered in spilt liquor and beer.

And quote of the night goes to Brad. As we were making our way out of the street dance area, we passed by a giant BBQ that was selling hot dogs and hamburgers. (Pure genius, actually). Brad had a double cheeseburger and I had a hot dog. I ate about half on the walk home and gave the other half to Brad. He, being slightly intoxicated, finished my hot dog and said "I wish life were like a video game and you could run around and find hot dogs in bushes and stuff". I laughed so hard I nearly fell off the sidewalk.

3 comments:

*M* said...

I think going to this street dance just made it on my list of "must-dos"

Sean said...

come on where's the photographic evidence?

Anonymous said...

Yes, street dance is always entertaining for us people watchers ;)

P.S. I like the new layout of your blog!

Robyn