Pages

Friday, February 22, 2008

Is there really any point?

I'm almost reluctant to post this, but it's on my mind so why not, right?
I'm talking about Blog Hecklers. Yup, those people who clearly read the blog regularly enough to be able to reference past postings and yet feel compelled to talk about how stupid the author is make "anonymous" messages on the comments page declaring the idiocy of the blogger.
To those people I ask this: What is the point?
First of all, why completely waste time in reading a blog that you disagree with and clearly get no enjoyment from reading? Seems like maybe these people have too much time on their hands and need a hobby. May I suggest making latch-hook rugs with pithy sayings on them as an outlet for all of that creative energy.
Second, the entire act of commenting is a futher timewaster as the blogger has the ultimate power with their blog. Believe it or not, they have the power to delete the comment. It would be like all those clever insults never existed!
I suppose the whole thing comes from wanting to rile someone up and have that power over another person.
The act is concerning as well in light of the recent increase in internet bullying. There was a huge story in the news a couple of months ago when a young teenager hung herself because a heckler was telling her she was a terrible person on her myspace. Not quite on the same level as your run-of-the-mill Blog Heckler, but the elements are the same.
It seems to me that if a person has such distain for a blogger, the best thing would be to a) stop reading the blog, or b) make a reasonable educated argument about how/why the content of the blog could be better.
Then again, maybe some people are just jerks. To those people I say this: stop that!

2 comments:

pilgrimchick said...

Wow. People continually amaze me--and in this case, not in a good way.

Anonymous said...

Your blog sucks!!
Sorry, I couldn't resist! Hope all is well in Swift, Saskabush. I'll be showing my family around your other hometown in the next few weeks!
Wish I had a clone or two of you in the old NR these days!

Cheers!