Pages

Thursday, April 03, 2008

Haters

I just finished reading a topic on the "Smithers, BC" facebook group that involved a number of people arguing over why everyone should hate/love Smithers. It started as an "I hate Smithers" post and some joined the ranks of haters, while other people stepped up to defend the town. What I don't understand is why these people with an absolute hate-on for the town joined a group dedicated to it? Why bother? Why associate yourself with something you hate?
Besides the absurdity of arguing whether it's good to love/hate the town (someone once told me there's no point in arguing because if you're right you have no reason to argue, and if you're wrong, you have no place arguing), it brought me to another thought that applies no matter where you are. Why live somewhere that you hate?
I know there are situations where moving to a new community is not immediately financially viable and there are a number of other reasons why people can't move immediately, but if you hate a place so much and it's making your life miserable, then start to do something about it! And if it's such an awful place to live, why did you move there to start with? I think the anger comes from feeling trapped somewhere that isn't satisfying a person's needs, so if that's the case, start taking steps to go somewhere. At least when those steps are being taken you'll feel more in control of the situation and like there's a light at the end of the tunnel.
Everywhere I've ever lived I've heard people badmouthing the town/city. I've been that person, but I've always also had it in mind to make a change eventually. Ultimately, everything in life is a choice and can be changed. Sometimes the outcome isn't worth the necessary changes, and that's a decision in itself. If that's the case, then you've made your choice and there were obviously more reasons to stay than to go, so can it really be as awful as you think?
I guess the bottom line is that there are some people out there who are just haters and who want to be angry and feel sorry for themselves and make everyone else miserable too. To them I say "stop that!"

No comments: