Pages

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

It was not a good day.

I received some very sad news on Saturday afternoon. My Grandpa passed away during the night on Friday. Mum has gone to Vancouver to be with her sisters and her Mum.
I've wanted to write something and have been thinking about what I would say for the past several days, but somehow I still can't put it to words. I guess the best thing to say is that we all miss him terribly. I have so many great memories of his wonderful silliness, and cheeky sense of humour. Of visits to Parksville and Vancouver Island, of Christmas Eve get-togethers watching for Santa through their New West apartment window, his amusement at me saying he was like RoboGrandpa with his titanium ankle, and of course, being totally grossed out and bewildered at his offer of smoked oysters ("You like smoked oysters, Jess?").
I had hoped that when I sat down to write this the words would just come, but I still seem to be coming up short.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm really sorry for your loss. Even with the words not coming freely, you write of your Grandpa beautifully. I'm always here if you need someone to talk to.

*M* said...

I love hearing those memories, so important to remember and to maybe encorporate traditions into your life so his memory lives on. Thinking of you a lot honey bun.