Pages

Monday, March 24, 2008

The Great, The Good, and the WTF?!

It was another weekend of movies and relaxing, and no complaints from this girl!
Friday we had hopes of renting I Am Legend, No Country for Old Men, and Enchanted (guess who picked that one!). When we got to the video store the only one they had in was Enchanted (I win!), so we picked it up and put my name on a wait list for I Am Legend.
I'm not going to lie, I absolutely loved Enchanted. I may have teared up a little (feeling a little emmotional lately apparently), but mostly I just sat there smiling stupidly at the utter cuteness and high-powered sweetness. Loved it.
It was about 10:45 by the time we finished watching it and I stood up and said "Well, I'd say we aren't going to get a call about a copy of I Am Legend." I got a glass of water and then the phone rang. The video store calling to say they just got a copy of the dvd and did I want it tonight or tomorrow? We hurried down to the store and picked up the movie and came home to watch it.
I'm getting damn sick of zombie movies, but I have to say I really enjoyed this one. Wil Smith was incredible, and, as far as zombie-type scenarios, the plot seemed almost plausible. It was very well done, not terribly gory, but with a definite sad note to it.
I wish I could say that I enjoyed the movie we watched on Saturday night. We got home from coffee with Nick at 11 on Saturday night and I turned on the tv to see if there was anything on and Bram Stoker's Dracula was starting. I'm just going to come right out and say it; it was a terrible movie. First of all, Keanu Reeves had a speaking role with an "english" accent. I won't go into more detail about that attrocity. Otherwise the cast (including Gary Oldman and Anthony Hopkins) was promising. I'm sure they did the best they could with the script, which was weak at best. The whole film made me feel like it might make more sense if I were on some sort of mind-altering substance. It was confusing, contrived, and disconnected. Not to mention the random unexplained kissing scene between Winona Rider and Sadie Frost. So why did we watch the whole thing? It was so awful I couldn't turn it off...and I couldn't help but wonder if it would get better. I feel like they just hacked out whole scenes, but that those scenes were actually really important for the movie to make sense.

No comments: