Pages

Monday, March 17, 2008

Thoughts on Being Alone

There is definitely something to be said for a Sunday consisting of nothing but lounging. Brad and I slept until almost 11 (the latest I've slept in ages) and then stayed in our pjs all day watching movies.
Which brings me to my ponderism of the day. We watched "Into the Wild" a true story about a guy who leaves everything behind, cuts up his ID, burns his money and disappears into the world on his way up to Alaska where he plans to live in the wild. His adventures and the people he meets on his way north are incredible and a really interesting story and the movie was really well done.
The thing that intrigues me is that this seems to be a relatively common dream for guys. For some reason, males in general seem to have some sort of instinctual urge to wander off into the wilderness and disappear for a while.
It's something I can't personally grasp. While I often feel the desire to purge my belongings, I never fantasize about vanishing entirely. I would hate to lose contact with my closest friends and family. I think the loneliness would depress me. Yet there seem to be a lot of men who find something intriguing about the disappearing act.
It makes very little sense to me. I found it interesting how at one point in the movie he has an epiphany that life and the experiences in life mean nothing without sharing them. Sort of interesting because that has long been my opinion about life. It was something I could relate to in an otherwise foreign personality type.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I watched the same movie this weekend and my opinion is the same as yours. Romantic notion to be "free of possesions" but to be disconnected from family doesn't seem pleasant but heartwrenching.