Pages

Thursday, June 05, 2008

Defensive Driving

When studying up for my motorcycle drivers license, it seemed to me there was a general theme to the book "always watch out for other vehicles on the road because they won't see you and you'll die". Ok, I get it; defensive driving. Check.
I had no idea just how extremely relevant that was until I actually started driving my scooter around town. Yesterday I took Scoots McGee out for a long rip around the city mostly to try out different situations and different types of pavement and to get a good feel for riding. I was amazed at just how many drivers either didn't notice me, or noticed me so much that they nearly crashed into other things while gawking. Even if they did see me coming, I was apprehensive that they wouldn't really register that I'm a vehicle. It really is all about driving defensively.
I have read that in the past year there has been a 120 percent increase in motorcycle accidents in Saskatoon! Police are saying it's because everyone is trying to beat the price of gas by buying motorcycles and they just don't have the experience to ride them safely.
This fact started a conversation with Brad and we both agreed that there need to be restrictions on the type of bike you can ride when you first get a license. I know myself that there is no way I could climb onto one of those crotch-rockets and ride with any level of safety. Not a chance! The conversation then shifted to other drivers. They just don't notice bikes. I think there needs to be more emphasis on motorcycle awareness for drivers. That conversation moved us on to distracted drivers and how terribly dangerous it is. Particularly driving while on a cell phone or texting.
I stole this from another blog
In a national survey of more than 900 teens with driver’s licenses from 26 high schools, teens rated the following behaviors or activities as “extremely” or “very” distracting:
Instant or text messaging while driving - 37 percent
[The teen driver’s] emotional state - 20 percent
Having several friends in the car - 19 percent
Talking on a cell phone 14 percent
Eating or drinking - 7 percent
Having a friend in the car - 5 percent
Listening to music - 4 percent
Now that to me is scary, but so true. But what's maybe more frightenning is the 63 percent of teens who DON'T think that texting is extremely distracting!
Well, now what? Newfoundland and Labrador and Quebec are the only two provinces who have made it illegal to drive and talk on your handheld cell phone (I believe the car kits are more acceptable). It would be admittedly very inconvenient for a lot of people if the entire country were to jump on the bandwagon and ban talking on cell phones, but on the other hand, shouldn't safety come first?
I remember one day driving in PG along Massey Dr (the autobahn of PG where the speed limit is 50 but if you go less than 80 you get dirty looks while being passed by everyone from little old ladies to bikers) I was heading down Massey and a truck coming towards me was being driven by a man with a cell phone in his right hand and a cigarette in his left. Now, call me crazy, but I'm pretty sure that's all of the hands there are. That means he was probably steering with his knees...along a curvy road...um...no deal.
Maybe if people were reasonable about things this wouldn't be an issue, but let's face it, give 'em an inch and they take a mile.
Those are my thoughts. Mostly it stems from not wanting to get smoked while riding Scoots. Please don't hit me. Thanks!

3 comments:

Sean said...

AMEN, drive safely

*M* said...

Scoots McGee, take care of my J-Will.

Anonymous said...

Two words - SAFETY VEST