Pages

Sunday, July 23, 2006

tools of the trade

a can-openner is a very useful tool...when you have one. I, for one, do not. Thus began my problem when I realized the cheap coffee I bought today from Wal-mart did not infact have one of those nifty handy pull off tops. No, it was a fully seeled can. The thought of having no coffee in the morning moved me to search the kitchen for something sharp to be used in lieu. For future reference: cork screws do not effectively open a can, neither does bringing a knife down on the top with any reasonable ammount of force...or rather, not if you still want to have use of the knife ever again, which I did, it being my only knife. Then, it dawned upon me: a hammer would exert an appropriate ammount of force...and a screwdriver would certainly not bend under the forceful blows. So I began to hammer away at the top of my coffee can, creating a 2 inch perforation along one edge, and puncturing out the remaining bits in between. Realizing how long it would take me to fully remove the top in this manner, I began to see alternative methods again...when it occured to me: coffee is ground very small, small enough in fact, to be poured out through a two by 1/8 inch slot. necessity truly is the mother of invention, and who ever said a woman can't use tools? Bah!

No comments: