Pages

Monday, September 10, 2007

Choked About Britney's Comeback

I am disgusted.
No, not because Britney messed up her dance moves at the MTV Video Music Awards, not because she stopped lip-syncing halfway through her single and forgot some of the words, not because her performance was so shaky as to make everyone feel awkward watching it. No, I'm disgusted because the reviews called her "embarrassingly out of shape" (to quote the Canadian Press).
Certainly she's not as thin as she has been, but for once, to me, she looks healthy. And let's not forget she's also had two children. The public and media are so terribly unforgiving of any imperfection in stars, and so why should childbirth and motherhood be viewed any different? But the honest truth is that if someone with Britney's body were walking down the street, she would be ogled and admired for her fantastic figure, and the thought that she had carried two children would be unfathomable.
She stood on stage wearing underwear (ok, I do have a bit of a problem with that too, but that's a whole other blog entry), and there was no wobbling, no unsightly pinching, no rolls, nothing.
It's no wonder young girls, teens, and women have such a warped body image. To be told that someone who is just curvy yet obviously toned is "out of shape" only enforces the opinion that a woman should be androgynous with no defining feminine features (except massive breasts, obviously). No wonder there are so many eating disorders.
Tell me honestly if Britney looks fat, out of shape and disgusting here. Because if she is, well I should apologize to the world for being disgracefully out-of-shape.

3 comments:

Darwin Gooding said...

Maybe I shouldn't weigh in on this one but I thought she still looked hot. :)

She's a washed up nut case... but still attractive.

I agree with your post bud. I read about her performance before I saw it and when I saw it I wondered the same thing you did.

Her looking really not interested while I stage was the part that disturbed me more than her "out of shape appearance." If she wasn't ready (and it's obvious she wasn't)why was she up there?

Anonymous said...

Agree with everything. The performance was horrible and entertaining but not once did I question her weight. She's not out of shape, she's just out of marketing tricks.

Anonymous said...

Hey J dub, this is T rent from down the hall. Hi!

I say shame on the music award show for exploiting her when she was obviously not ready yet. Music award shows, and award shows in general have been going down hill in ratings. I think this was a publicity stunt to get attention. In that regard, congradulations to the marketing guy for his evil stroke of geniuse.