Pages

Saturday, January 05, 2008

Oh Neglected Blog...

It's the 5th day of 2008. The Christmas break blurred together so I'm not really sure which day we did what. I know I worked a little and I know I had some days off, and I know I went out for New Years Eve.
Here are my thoughts on the recent past.
Closet Organizers
I knew there was something a little amiss with me when I got excited over the purchase of a mop, or became truly ecstatic to buy a full sized ironing board complete with iron rest (which I still haven't figured, but damned if I'll let an iron rest get the better of me!), but I never realized just how far I had slid into domesticity until Brad and I tackled the spare room closet. The move was partly to deal with infernal clutter that was spilling from the closet into the room, and partly to get the room closer to a semblance of usability for when guests come to visit (please come visit!).
Brad bought a Rubbermaid closet organizer with many big shiny parts and proceeded to put it up. I emptied the closet and the hall closet and started sorting through a mess of papers and tidbits and memorabilia to get things ready for our newly renovated closet.
It really only took a couple of hours and I had the linens, towels, extra blankets, board games, and laundry equipment carefully organized in the closet. The other one in the hall (significantly smaller and a near useless size) was also put to use for our extra toiletries, candles, etc.
The point is, if I was overly excited about a mop and ironing board, you should have seen me with a neatly organized closet! I honestly had to put effort into pulling myself away from the spareroom where all I wanted to do was stare at the neatness. Psychosis? Possibly. OCD? More likely. Suffice it to say I have dreams of setting up the spare bed, buying cute little book shelves, and night stands and lovely curtains and turning into a full-fledged spare bedroom!
Snowboarding
I know I already did a post about our trip, and this likely won't come as a surprise, but I was in terrible pain afterwards. Everytime I tried to sit down, I was in pain. Raising my arms above my head was nearly impossible. Moving the toes on my left foot was terrible. Many muscles in my body were truly disgusted with the insolence I displayed in suddenly forcing them to work.
New Years Eve and Vodka
Those who know me are well aware that I am a very cheap drunk. I started off the evening by having "one of those days" where I felt utterly hideous in everything I put on. No combination of t-shirt and pants was comfortable or made me feel presentable (even those fail-safe back-up plan outfits that always look good). We went out anyway (what am I, if not stubborn?). Upon our arrival at the Stockade, the standard friends were there: Nick and Kim, Vince and Shay, Tom and Vanessa, Brett. Jeff and his friends were also there (obviously, it was his party afterall). I immediately decided the best way to make me forget about how uncomfortable I felt was to have some vodka! So it started there. The drinks went down very easily and before I knew it I was laughing way too much and very red in the face. I drank until midnight by which time my body told me if I had any more alcohol I would pay for it dearly, so I switched to water and proceeded to sober up and become extremely tired. Brad, hero that he is, kept drinking to the point of...boisterous silliness. I dragged him home at 2.
Since I was basically sober by 1am, for the last hour I enjoyed the company of Tom, who doesn't drink. We had some good conversations and had I not been so completely exhausted, I would have stayed, despite the fact the party was winding down with maybe 10 people left.
Also, as per custom, I made my New Years phone calls to my parents, and to Mare (being in BC, it was only 10 at the time, but it's the thought that counts).
New Years Day I suffered no ill-effects of my celebrating.
GST Cheques
Yesterday a very pleasant surprise. I hazarded a look at my bank account and noticed a significant ammount more than I thought would be there. Yes, January is GST rebate month! Oh how I love government cheques! I promptly got on the phone and treated myself to a hair cut.
Working
Due to some interesting scheduling, it appears I'll be working more or less straight through the first 18 days of January. I do like covering holiday shifts for the simple reason that I get a day in lieu, which means, when I leave for Smithers I only have to take 3 holiday days and can use my banked days for the other two, which means I can take those two holiday days that I've saved when Mare comes to see me in February, leaving me no further behind! Hooray!
On that note, only 14 more sleeps until I'm in Smithers (I leave in 13), and 53 until Mare comes!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Vodka rocks...almost as much as closet organizers.