Pages

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Yes, I am guilty

I've heard many people talking about how the art of the phone call or the hand-written letter is dying a slow and terrible death. I won't lie, I'm guilty of contributing to the impending extinction.
There are two people who I will regulary have phone calls with; Mare, and Mum. That's it. Everyone else is simply contacted by one of the many digital communication tools at my disposal. Ranging from a quick email, to a message or wall-posting on facebook, to a text message, these are my chosen mediums.
While it is admittedly far-less personal to use these methods, it seems faster and less intrusive. If I'm imposing on someone's day, I'd rather do it at their convenience. A text message to their cell can be ignored until they feel like dealing with it, as can a message or email or wall-posting. Maybe it's an insecurity of sorts, and using an impersonal method of communication makes me feel like I'm not going so far out on a limb.
The downside to this removal from verbal conversation is that I start to feel slightly anxious when it comes down to actually speaking with someone on the phone. I think I'm afraid of being an inconvenient intrusion.
Anyway, if I haven't called you in a while, sorry. Send me a text and we'll do lunch!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I find facebooking and texting makes me lazy to call people. So I've taken to calling people while in the bath, cause, well why not. Go on. try it!

It's Me! said...

Hahaha! I already do! If you ever hear a gentle sloshing while on the phone with me, it's cause I'm having a lovely soak.

Martens said...

We are doing lunch. Next Thursday. It'll be a good time! And I'm like you...I talk to few on the phone, but have got the texting bug sadly. Except, I send almost ALL of my texts to one person...yeah, I'm a geek.