Pages

Friday, April 13, 2007

Designed Just for Radio People?

I think it must have been designed just for us...those in radio who must remain allert for our shifts, who must perform despite sleep depravation, exhaustion, and hang-overs most vile.

I'm talking about the Burger King Joe coffee. It comes in two strengths: Regular, and Turbo. BK was handing out free samples today as a promotion and so, obviously, the newsroom packed into the cruiser and headed down to score ourselves some Joe. Feeling daring, we ordered Turbo, which claims to have 4 times the caffeine as the regular. How, you ask? Well, apparently they don't have coffee grounds, but instead use a syrup, so the turbo is just a more concentrated, less diluted variety. Seriously. It's quite a bit stronger than I've grown used to, and so took me roughly 30 minutes to finish...then the buzz hit. I actually can't remember the last time I had a caffeine buzz like that! The full meal deal of side effects: jitters, increased heart rate, antsy, twitchy...you name it! And I just had a small! So, to radio folk everywhere, if you didn't behave last night and are trying to get through a shift when really you'd rather just curl up and die, grab a Turbo Joe from BK...it might burn a hole through your stomach lining, but you'll be awake!
(Post Scriptum: the buzz has worn off...4 hours later, and with only a slight crash...I'm still functioning...which is good)

3 comments:

*M* said...

i could use one of those right, now. i think they might come in handy this summer when we have marathon, all-night chats:)

Anonymous said...

WOW THE BK JOE!! GOOD TO KNOW! Will keep that in mind for future reference for sure!! :) I've been addicted to facebook recently and been neglecting the blog... but i'm back!

Urban Daddy said...

Ah, Thank you for the commentary. I really wanted to try it but we were out of town for a family emergency and I missed the free samples here in TO. Now that I read your take on it (and well, most of the rest of your posts :) ) I want to go to the mall at lunch time and try one.

And, I've been to Sask a few times and loved it there.

Cheers,