Pages

Friday, May 18, 2007

And Old Friend

My old friend Maureen has come to visit me in grand ole Swift Current this week on her way home to Smithers for a summer of working. It's great to see her again. We didn't see much of each other for a couple of years; she had moved to Montreal and I was going to school in Burnaby, and somehow we rarely managed to return to Smithers at the same time. Funny how that happens as you get older. Then last summer while I was living in PG she would make trips to visit frequently on her days off from camp. We sort of re-forged the friendship...not to say that it had suffered at all, but it was good to sit down and talk again.
This particular visit was supposed to start at 8:20 on Tuesday night when her flight was scheduled to arrive in Regina. I drove out to pick her up and upon my arrival at the airport I discovered the flight was delayed until 9:51 (!). So I bought some tea and pulled out my new book and settled down for the wait. She then got in just a little earlier than was expected, but still fairly late, so rather than make the 2.5 hour drive back to Swift, we grabbed a hotel room and went for beers. We both had a terrible sleep in the hotel, and left early Wednesday morning. After I showered (something I didn't do at the hotel since I didn't have any of my toiletries with me), we grabbed some lunch and drove down to Saskatchewan Landing where I was told there's a nice beach.
The beach was nice soft sand and really gorgeous! That is, until the wind picked up and we couldn't talk without getting a mouthful of sand. So we picked up our towels and left again.At home we made many desserts and made supper. Then went to my friend Ashley's place for the finale of America's Next Top Model (my guilty pleasure in the realm of reality tv...I'm so weak!).
I had to work Thursday and today, so she's on her own, which kind of sucks. We went out for frozen yogurt after supper last night, and then went shopping. And this morning we went for a lovely breakfast at Smitty's (hee hee...I said Smitty's was lovely!) The food was good, and company even better!

(This picture is almost the same as a picture we took three years ago at Midsummer in Smithers...when I compared the two this morning I was totally amazed at how young we looked back in 2004...)