Pages

Monday, May 14, 2007

A Disturbing Trend.

I've noticed a terrible trend during my mornings covering court lately. There seems to be a ridiculous number of people who think it's alright to get behind the wheel after a night of drinking. In any given week there are around 7 residents of the Southwest area who have are fined and have their license revoked for a year for driving impaired.
Personally, I find this utterly disgusting. How a person can feel they have the right to drive and endanger other people's lives is beyond me. Recently a 25 year old was sentenced to 2.5 years in jail for driving drunk and slamming into another vehicle stopped at a red light. The vehicle was pushed under a semi and a mother of two was killed. The drivers blood alcohol level readings were 190 and 210. Honestly. That's not just a little drunk, that's what we would call drunk as f*ck.
Today another guy pled guilty to impaired driving and dangerous driving. He blew 200 and 210! Seriously. No one was hurt, but he was running stoplights and driving all over the road. I can only imagine what would have happened if someone had been on the road at that time. I can't help but wonder hat would happen if I were on the roads then?
I hereby warn everyone I know: If I see someone getting into their car when I know they've been drinking, I will call the police. I don't mean A beer, and obviously I will try to convince the person not to drive first, but if someone I know has had many drinks I will call the police. I will give them the license plate number and say the person has been drinking. If you're not drunk enough to blow a 08 that's fine, but I won't take the chance and have someone killed because I didn't call.

No comments: