Pages

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Weddings and Divorse...and ponderism.

Once again, the looming and dreaded Wedding Season has crashed into my daily life. The fever has infiltrated magazines, movies, tv shows, even regular conversation. It still makes me wonder why I feel so vehement towards the 4 month span...
I think one of the saving graces this year (which, depending on my mood could also be considered a curse) is the involvement in several weddings. There was Ben and Brenda's wedding in May, which I wasn't exactly involved in, but did help out in some minor ways. Next, on July 7th is Rob and Bev's wedding, which Bev recently asked me to be in as one of her bridesmaids. Next is a bit of a dry spell in which I can only imagine my irritation will reach critical levels again.
The prevalence of marriage and weddings in all forms of entertainment makes me wonder if I'm just noticing it more at this time of year, or if the media moguls are conspiring to forcefeed us the pieces that seem generously spread with wedding content.
On the opposite side, however, the recent books I've read are riddled with stories of divorse and infidelity. Why is it our generation seems so obsessed with all things matrimonial, while the generation before is focused on cheating and the collapse of commitment?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree whole-heartedly. It seems culture/media is obsessed with the idea of marriage. You turn on the tv and it's stories about weddings; costs/food/proposals etc. (which adds to the anxiety for singles and the feelings of competition for those facing marriage). Also the focus is on the wedding not the marriage for most tv/culture perspectives.Yet I'm yet to see one tv show that addresses the alarming divorce rates and new generation of post-marriages.

... sorry your post got me thinking about it...