Pages

Monday, July 28, 2008

The sacrificial blog

Since about grade 8, writing has been my venting session. I've always been able to throw whatever is bothering me onto a piece of paper and feel somewhat more at peace with it. That morphed from fun coloured pens and paper to improved typing skills and keeping an online diary, which then turned into one of millions of blogs on the www. I became a blogger in 2006 and it started out as a place to air my dirty laundry and vent a little and possibly be a little entertaining.
Now I've found that I have a few people reading it and I have to find different topics to jot down. The list of things that are "off limits" has expanded. It now includes things that I'm not prepared to talk about (even eluding to those things draws attention and awkward questions), work issues (of ALL kinds), friend issues (unless I want to run the risk of an untimely confrontation), relationship issues (it's just not nice to let everyone into a relationship, there are some things that must remain between two people alone).
I'm not complaining. I'm flattered that people find my blog interesting. It's a problem that comes about eventually for anyone who publishes to an on-line journal. There is no anonymity. The internet is accessible by everyone. It's a challenge.
As for those top secret scandalous secrets that my brain is swimming in? Well, they have their special place too; written in plain ink in my little red journal that stays tucked away in my underwear drawer.

No comments: