Pages

Monday, March 30, 2009

My Bad Luck With Hotels

This weekend I went to Calgary and stayed at the Hyatt. If you're familiar with this particular hotel then you're a much classier person than I am. The elevator went so fast my ears popped, the room (on the 15th floor) had a massive bathroom, a stunning king size bed, and a fantastic view (though anything from the 15th floor is usually a pretty good view). In case you're wondering, I slept just fine on that king bed and lounged on Sunday morning while watching Saved By the Bell reruns on the 32" LCD tv. Gorgeous.
Sunday morning (after Saved by the Bell), I got up and did my morning shower-blow-dry-hair-apply-makeup-get-dressed routine. I was just about finished when an odd sound fills my room. I stood there confused for a moment and then realized it was the fire alarm. I was not filled with panic. No, I casually finished dressing, grabbed my purse, my coat, my keys, my room key, and my suitcase and left the room, carefully scanning it before I left to make sure I hadn't left anything really critical. It killed me a little to have to leave behind my heaps of purchases from IKEA (the irony of having to go out of town before I could finally buy curtains for the house only to have them burn in a hotel fire was bittersweet), but I knew there was no way I could carry everything. I followed an older couple down the hall to the stairs and started to descend. Interesting point: the 15th floor is very impressive...until you have to walk down 15 flights of stairs while wondering if the building will collapse around you in a fiery inferno.
It was around the 8th floor that the alarm finally shut off and a voice came on the intercom declaring that there was no emergency. Rather than turn around and go back UP those 7 floors, I kept going downward. The alarm came back on. Then it went off. Then there was another alarm. Then it stopped too. By this time I was down in the lobby and decided to just go for breakfast. (Does $17.85 for two eggs, bacon, toast, and coffee sound a little steep to anyone?)
P.S. It took me three trips up and down the elevator to finally get all of my IKEA loot to the car.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Considering you can get the same at a pub for 3.99$, yes, yes it is.
But Saved By the Bell (Zack, time out!) on a 32" and the king sized bed would make it worth it.

*M* said...

ohhh how i wish i could have been there with you:) soon, that breakfast made with love will be FREE for you on my patio!