Pages

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Jessica Williams: Bonified Saskatchewanian

Been a while, hasn't it? I'm not a resident of Swift Current Saskatchewan and have been for the past 4 and a half days.
Where to begin....well, the going away party on Friday was amazing and thank you sooooo much to everyone who came! I got a little (a lot) drunk and passed out as soon as my head hit the pillow that the hotel (which Brad reminds me of whenever I try to tell him I wasn't drunk). Pictures will follow as soon as I have internet set up at the apartment.
Michelle had me very worried though when she told me about an avalanche on highway 16 east on friday afternoon. If there was one, it wasn't on the highway report and it certainly wasn't there when we went though.
The drive was fine. We left around 8:30 after a breakfast of McDonalds (mmmmm McMuffin....yum!) and made really good time (especially on the double wide from Jasper to Edmonton). Brad wasn't even that nervous. We stopped in Camrose on Saturday night so we would be able to get some rest and have a good start the next morning for the final 5 hour push to Swift. I didn't feel bad stopping, afterall, it had been a 10 hour that day.
Sunday we headed out around the same time in the morning feeling well rested, but driving directly into the sun was straining and Brad and I got cranky and "bickered" many times during the day.
We finally got to Swift around 3 or 4 (time zone change) and got the keys to the apartment from his Dad. Ben, Brenda and Brenda's sister and her sister's husband came to see the apartment and helped move my stuff from the car.
The apartment is BEAUTIFUL! The nicest apartment I've ever lived in. The carpets are all new and pretty, and (the best part) is the in suite washer and dryer! YAY!! (Pictures to follow).
Brad and I drove to Rosetown on Monday (Family Day Stat in Sask) and I picked up a few more things.
Driving back from Rosetown was a little hairy as the fog was INTENSE. I couldn't see more than a meter in front of the car, but the weird part was that when I looked directly up through the windshield, I could see the stars and a totally clear sky.
Work was good on Tuesday. Everyone has been really wonderful and welcoming! I started at 9 and ended up having to go to Council. Council only lasted a hour. Yup, an hour!!! Fastest council meeting EVER!
Now I'm onto day three and doing the afternoons.
Vince and Shay came over last night and helped put up the curtains in the apartment, much to the dismay of local peeping toms. And when I say "helped" I mean Vince put them up.
Now I'm going for supper with Brad's mum tonight and hopefully will be able to get internet hooked up afterwards.
So there you go...that's the update! Like I said...pictures to follow!

1 comment:

*M* said...

Thanks for the update hun, it's nice to hear that the move went well and that u are settling in nicely. Can I bring my laundry over?