Pages

Thursday, November 22, 2007

Charades, anyone?

I've discovered over the past couple of days that I am trying to communicate using only gestures. I am definately one of those people who talks with her hands while I'm talking, but lately I'm using gestures to replace words.
Example 1: Yesterday during the Birthdays on Magic, a lady called in to wish her husband a happy birthday. She said his name and while Chris was talking to her, I began to gesture at him to ask whether her husband worked at the newspaper. My gesture of choice? I pretended to hold a notebook and write. Because that, to me, says "journalism" which would obviously imply Southwest Booster. Clearly. Chris was supposed to understand that my gesture, combined with raised eyebrows was supposed to mean "Is he the one who works at the booster?"
Example 2: I was reminiscing with a friend about older toys and asked if she remembered Devil Sticks (a game were you hold two sticks that look like drumsticks and toss a baton between the two). She was pretty sure she knew what I meant, but not entirely, so I started miming it. I was describing the baton and held my hands out and waggled my fingers to show "tassels". Because that, apparently, is the universal gesture for tassels according to me.
Example 3: This morning on Magic, Chris and I were planning on talking about a giveaway the station is doing today. Ryan was going to the old Canadian Tire parking lot to give toques to the first 97 people to show up. I wasn't sure if Chris remembered that we were going to talk about it so, by way of reminding, I mimed pulling a toque over my head. What did Chris do? Give me a confused look.
Maybe I'm in the wrong field and should learn sign language and work as one of those tv translators on the government channels?

2 comments:

Martens said...

See, the problem with me, is I'm the kind of person who can only really focus on one thing at once. So, one of these days when you're trying to symbolize something to me, I'm going to go "And a happy B-day to Bob, who's 28 purple monkey dishwasher."

Anonymous said...

Hahahaha i can totally see Chris do that. Its true though. hes a one word, one symbol at a time guy. Its ok. it just makes him more special. lol