Pages

Thursday, November 08, 2007

Stop and Breathe now...

I can now stop and take a breath and relax. The provincial election is over. While the 27 days leading up to it were stressful, Election day itself went off smoothly (if not a little hectic).
I'm so grateful for the hard work of the newsroom last night. Everyone was here on time (granted having pizza always helps to draw a radio crowd), everyone was confident in their roles, and everyone pulled off their jobs smoothly and (seemingly) effortlessly.
The polls closed at 8 and we began filing our reports to Moose Jaw. Golden West Radio broadcast a single election program covering all of the province which the other stations filed reports to. Alexis was at the Returning office in Swift filing voicers to the newsroom here for our reports, Penny filed reports from the Cypress Hills returning office, and Jon was on-location at the stockade in Swift where Brad Wall had his headquarters set up. Dono and I were at the station. He was answering the phones and editing voicers from A-Van, Penny and Jon (sometimes at once) and I was filing the reports and answering phones too.
Admittedly there were a few moments in the newsroom where it was a struggle to string two thoughts together, but that comes from multi-tasking and listening to four things at once (Radio feed, TV coverage, live feed from the Stockade, phone calls), but we pulled it off.
Wall was declared winner very early on (he finished with 5919 votes out of 8300). Lorne Calvert conceded just after 9, and Brad made his victory speech about 30 minutes later.
The whole thing went by so quickly!
Now, in the aftermath, I'm tired. Haha! Yesterday in preparation I had a three hour nap, then a large coffee at 5, followed by supper and a bunch of Pepsi. That, combined with the energy rush of being busy and working under the pressure of a deadline, was not a good recipe for sleep! I went home at 10:40 but was up until roughly midnight. And, sure enough, back to work bright and early this morning! I think it's understandable that I took the extra 15 minutes for sleep and drive to work rather than walk.
Now it's a matter of getting through the day! Maybe I'll be delirious later this morning? Especially if I keep drinking the coffee!!
(PS, if this doesn't make any sense, it has something to do with sleep deprivation)

4 comments:

Colin said...

Heyyy! I had a part in this, too. In fact, I made you guys sound good ;)

It's Me! said...

You're absolutely right. Sorry Colin...
I'd like to ammend my PS at the end of the entry to say "if this doesn't make any sense, or if I've forgotten to thank Colin for his help, it has something to do with sleep deprivation"

Colin said...

Oh, that's all right

*M* said...

CONGRATS!!!! You kicked ass and got through it. Woot! Now go have a glass of wine.