Pages

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Thoughts on Health Care

Last night Chris and I went to see Sicko. Southwest Festafilm was putting it on at the theatre for one night.
I've always known that Americans are required to pay for their health care and I've always been grateful as a Canadian to know it's covered, but there were several things pointed out in the film that really just reinforced my feelings.
The focus wasn't on those who don't have health insurance, but on American's who are supposedly covered by an HMO. I can't say that I was shocked to find out the insurance companies try their damnest to avoid paying out, but I was disturbed to find out the extent that it goes. I believe that Michael Moore documentaries can't be taken as straight fact, but I do believe his films are well researched and present a valid argument.
I think the part that stood out most to me was when he went to France and learned that not only is healthcare universal and free, but childcare as well. In fact, the government will apparently supply a caregiver who will come to the home of new parents and help with the baby, housework, laundry - whatever the parent needs help with - all free. Remarkable concept. Free post-secondary education was another point that stood out to me. It's an interesting concept and something I think could definitely work in Canada...it's the implementation process that seems insurmountable. But, I digress.
According to the World Health Organization, France has the best Health Care on the planet, followed by Italy and San Marino. Canada, however, sits at 30th. And the US at 37.
I definitely appreciate the availability of health care...but I think we can do better. For example, why do we have to pay for ambulance rides? Generally, an ambulance is not the sort of thing that's called for a non emergency. For the most part they're reserved for the most urgent of medical situations when medical equipment and personnel need to be on hand and a patient needs to be taken somewhere immediately with nothing getting in the way.
The thought of paying for an ambulance seems absurd, really. Let's look at this objectively with the assumption that only people in dire circumstances take a ride in an ambulance. Chances are, if you're in a situation where you need emergency transportation, it's because something really bad has happened and if that's the case, you're probably going to need recovery time. That likely means some time off work, which means a lower income (because from what I've heard getting compensation while on extended medical leave isn't as easy as it one might think). Personally, a $200+ ride is not in my budget, and would be even less affordable after taking time off work.
Last January, when Brad had his heart attack, the doctors in Swift decided he had to go to hospital in Regina. They put him into an ambulance and sent him away. A few months later the bill arrived, charging him for the ride there and the trip back. Sure, his health care covered the cost...but he had to pay the monstrous bill and be reimbursed. How is that reasonable? It scares me to think about people who don't have extended health care.
But, like I said, I am very glad to have medicare...even if there is room for improvement. We're still leaps and bounds ahead of many other countries.
That being said, France sounds pretty nice these days!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i agree, when i passed out at shoppers drug mart here, i refused the treatment and didnt get a ride ot the hospital and went home. I said no cause i didnt want to pay money. Then a few weeks later i got a bill for $183 dollars. And i had to pay it. Even though i denied it. And then My step dad said if i had accepted the insurance would have paid for it. how gay was that?