Pages

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

a rant explained.

had an interesting conversation with a friend who had read my wedding/marriage blog entry. She asked me why marriage was so important to me. It made me really think and contemplate the reasons;
Beyond the fantasies spawned by white-barbie-weddings that seemed to dominate my childhood, and playing house constantly, I think a lot of the desire comes from wanting someone to say to me they want to spend the rest of their life with me and to declare it legally infront of everyone that means something to us. the sense of stability is a factor too...knowing, no matter what, that person will be with me and will support me, and vice versa. As long as the "dating" stage continues there is always the possibility the other person could bail. So, admittedly there is an element of insecurity.
it's very tricky these days when marriage is taken so lightly and so easily dismissed. I by no means want to rush into anything because clearly that will just end in disaster...but I think if both people enter into marriage as a commitment for life, and take it seriously then there is every hope of survival.
I guess the bottom line is I want to get married because I want to commit to sharing my life with one person and only one person and I want to have that feeling as well.
Obsessive? maybe...but again, seeing as we're still in the midst of the months between may and october...all you engaged people can just bugger off with your diamond sparklies. (yeah, I know, for someone who doesn't want to hear about it, I sure do focus on it a lot! hahaha, ah well, guess I'm a hypocrit of the highest order!)
Cheers!

No comments: