Pages

Friday, October 19, 2007

Reflections on Life

I've begun doing yoga after work. I lay my yoga mat on the floor in the living room so it faces the large window looking onto the street. As I went through the motions the other day, I felt much more peaceful. I stood up to g0o into the tree position. It involves standing on one foot with the other leg bent so the foot rests on the thigh. The hands are pressed in a prayer position above and held above the head. I fixed my eyes on a tall, strong evergreen in the distance and felt myself focus and relax more, looking into the distance. A moth fluttered past my window and my eyes shifted to watch it's erratic path. But as my eyes moved, my concentration faltered and I swayed, nearly losing my balance. I switched my focus back to the tree in the distance and a thought floated into my mind. It seemed to me the situation was something like life. It's hard to stand tall and steady when you allow yourself to lose focus for every distraction that flutters by.

1 comment:

*M* said...

aaaaaaahhhhhhh Jess the Genius. You hit the nail on the head so to speak there lady. Seriously. Totally hard to ignore all the little things but when you do, it's a much calmer situation.