Pages

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Riddle me this...

I'm not sure exactly where I stand on this topic, but it's so obvious and in-your-face these days, I figured I'd comment.
I'm talking about the mentality that surrounds halloween.
Women (particularly those who have just reached bar-age and extending up to mid 20s, with a recurrance if they're single and in their mid 30s) tend to believe that Halloween is simply an excuse to dress in completely trashy costumes. Occupations that are not sexy at all are suddenly made into itsy bitsy costumes that really make me wonder how the companies can charge so much for such little fabric. I'm not just talking about the standard Playboy Bunny, or the Pussycat costumes of the world...I'm refering to the things that aren't usually associated with attractive women. I mean the teensy shorts, tank top (white, obviously), and hard hat that make up a construction worker costume, the one-piece striped jumpsuit that's supposed to look like a referee. Or, even more shocking, the teeny tiny girlguide uniform that women are exploding out of, or the baby clothes that leave very little to the imagination. (I find those particularly disturbing as they are suddenly putting a sexual context onto something that should never be associated with sex under any circumstances).
I know everyone has noticed the trend, and very few men will outwardly protest, however, I have seen more than one raised eyebrow at a visible cheek (and I'm not talking face). The interesting thing that I've noticed, is that while most men seem to be in favor of the ridiculously teeny outfits, the majority of them will make disapproving comments afterwards, and seem to immediately think less of the girl.
On the other side of the fence is the female perspective. With each teeny costume and exploding top, comes one that's snaller, tighter, and more scandalous. The whole process of picking a halloween costume becomes a task of out-doing your friends and what you think the other ladies at the bar will be wearing. It's a matter of trying to be the most scantily clad and the most prostitute-like. Interesting how female competitveness manifests itself, isn't it?
Just some observations really.

No comments: