Pages

Monday, October 01, 2007

Response

Checking my email this morning and there's a comment on my "Oh Deer" blog entry. The comment appeared like this:

Anonymous said...
hmm not really...
7:35 PM, September 30, 2007

I published it, wondering what I had written to prompt the comment. The last line of my entry (which is what I assume this person was responding to) said "remarkable".
I feel like I would like to make a point here: I probably have come across as some city-snob who has never seen a rabbit outside of a cage, never mind a deer in my backyard. That is not actually the case. I spent most of my life in the small northern BC town of Smithers, situated in the middle of a valley flanked by mountains and lakes which are home to any number of deer, bears, moose and about a billion small critters. More often than not the wildlife make their way into the town. It's not uncommon at all to see a moose walking down the street (anyone seen the opening credits for Northern Exposure?). One Christmas in particular, we received a call from a neighbour at midnight telling us to look out of our front window, where there were two moose eating the bushes right in front of the window. Had the glass not been there we would have been standing no more than a meter away from the beasts.
My first encounter with a bear was when my parents and I went for a bike ride and were looking at a piece of property a block from our house that overlooked the slope down to the creek. In the neighbouring yard a black bear stood staring at us. My next encounter was when a friend of mine (and classmate) whose parents ran a wildlife animal shelter brought in three bear cubs to class and let them run around the room (they had been orphaned when a hunter killed their mother, so the Langens were raising them).
So, maybe having two bucks in our yard isn't terribly exceptional in the grand scheme of things, but it was still really neat.
Oh, and furthermore, sometimes a comment bears more weight when it's actually signed. So thanks for being "anonymous" and leaving all credibility behind.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whatever

Darwin Gooding said...

Hey Jess. Might be an interesting story to talk to someone and find out why there are so many of them coming in to town lately. It's not like the snow is covering their food yet. I've probably seen 20 on my street or in yards around my house in the last 3 weeks. This afternoon I was about to take Macy out for a piddle and when I opened the door Reagan yelled out, "HORSE!" I wondered what she was talking about but figured it out immediately when my dog went crazy. There was a buck and a doe on our front lawn eating the flowers out of the flower bed.

What's even crazier is that they don't seem to care that you're there. I took Macy for a pee and they simply walked over to the other side of the yard.