Pages

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Distant Friends

Not that it's any surprise to those who know me, but apparently I'm not capable of going to sleep thinking about something without it apearing in my dreams. Last night Maureen and I were talking about Jeff and Erin and how strange it is to have drifted so far from them. I've been drifting for the past, well, three years, maybe more, but every now and again it comes back to me how far we've gone from each other. The last time I saw the pair of them was at Christmas last year. I've heard from Erin a couple of times since, but the only word I ever heard from Jeff came when I wrote to him to ask just how much trouble he was actually in (a lot, it turns out, but, in true Jeff style, he said it was no big deal). That's it. As far as they know, I could have had left the country, had a baby, maybe had a sex-change operation. They would have no idea. And apparently the same went for Maureen; she hasn't heard from Jeff since last Christmas, and only got an email from Erin on her birthday. Now, before this goes any further, in their defence, I haven't written a lot either, so it goes both ways. But it's very strange to think about how far people can drift from each other.
My dream last night had something to do with seeing them and deciding I would go for coffee because I would probably never seem them again anyway, so I might as well make the effort this one last time and then forget about them completely. Harsh, huh?

No comments: