Pages

Saturday, October 14, 2006

up in the air: a dilema

I don't really know what to do at this point. I'm getting fed up with where I am right now, and, knowing the way I work, that means an irrational decision is just around the bend. Speaking rationally, though, this much I know:

*work is getting me down in the catagories of: 1. pay (lack there of, and zero probability of a substantial raise), 2. co-workers (many are just starting to get on my nerves, which I realise is probably just a by-product of general displeasure), 3. absolutely no organization, 4. lack of guidance, and 5. pay (see above)
*I want to be with Brad and "settle down" (dirty words, I know, but I want to get some sort of stability in my life, get a homebase if nothing else)
*I want to be able to start to save some money and enjoy life rather than buy discount q-tips and shampoo just to make it to the next paycheck.

Ok. Now that I know what I want...well, that's about all I've got. I don't know what to do from here.
The thought of living in Swift Current is appealing to me; Brad already has friends there and family, etc, and I really like the town itself. The downside? Well, if I stay in radio, I'd be working for Golden West again...and the thought makes me shudder. I try to tell myself the experience I had in Rosetown was simply because of that station, and it isn't a company wide thing, but then again, I don't know. I've become fairly snobbish here, and I don't really want to work for a shitty station, and from what I've heard from the Eagle, their product isn't very good, and sometimes it's just downright bad. Besides, all of this is riding on the assumption they would hire me...and who knows if there's even a position available? Plus, I have the "not from Saskatchewan" thing going against me, and from the sounds of it, they seem to hold onto the policy of "only saskatchewanians" like Rosetown did. Definately a point against me (and against them for that matter...what kind of company sacrifices quality for location?)

So, beyond Swift, I could go to Medicine Hat. The thought is appealing and scarey all at once. I don't really feel like I would be getting ahead by going there. The cost of living is the same or more than it is here, and while alberta is booming, I've been told the station there doesn't pay well at all. Daunting. Brad is also nervous about it.

Basically, I'm choosing between life and career again. In Swift we could set up a homebase, so to speak, and Brad was talking about the possibility of buying a house there. The cost of living is much lower (we're talking one bedroom apartments for under $400!). I like it there and I have friends there...actual friends that I miss! It definately has it's appeal. And I guess there's always the possibility of getting into communications somehow or other. That's something I would like to do. I don't know. Everything is just so stinkin up in the air and confusing. I don't know what to do.

Suggestions are welcome...but please not the "follow your heart" variety. I want cold, hard, harsh criticisms.

No comments: